Organization: Reach Out and Read ColoradoTitle: Communications Director
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
Reach Out and Read Colorado
Communications Director Job Description
At Reach Out and Read Colorado, communications are integral to building awareness of and advancing community engagement in early childhood literacy throughout Colorado. Toward that end, the communications function supports outreach to a broad range of constituents, including the general public, nonprofit organizations, health and health care professionals, the media, potential donors, and Reach Out and Read Colorado staff and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan, including strategic media and social media strategies, to advance Reach Out and Read Colorado brand identity, broaden awareness of its program and priorities, cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high level external audiences and increase the visibility of its program across key stakeholder audiences. These strategies will leverage existing and new communications tactics and include innovative uses of web and new media including online communities, viral marketing, blogs, and Twitter messaging.
· Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications will provide periodic progress reports to designated Reach Out and Read Colorado staff leadership and, at the direction of the Executive Director, to the Board of Directors.
· Develop and implement an organizational key message platform for all staff and volunteers including organization value proposition, proof points and sound bites.
· Manage media relations and contacts to generate publicity and overall awareness for the organization with a focus on developing and implementing media pitches including press releases, interviews and features that highlight the importance of early childhood literacy.
· Actively engage, cultivate and manage broadcast and print media relationships to ensure coverage of Reach Out and Read events, public announcements and other early childhood literacy developments.
· Serve as lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
· Identify and ensure that key, strategic messages are communicated effectively to target audiences and potential alliance partners and investors, responsible for communicating consistent messages across print and electronic media
· Work closely with Reach Out and Read National to ensure messaging and communications efforts are aligned and coordinated
· Remain current with local, state and national developments in health and health care as relates to early childhood literacy.
· Remain current on national best practices in media relations, social media and marketing and new and evolving external communications.
· Represent Reach Out and Read Colorado in an exemplary manner while maintaining the highest standards of professional conduct.
· Work in conjunction with the executive director, program director and development director to ensure all messaging integrates and reinforces the value of giving
· Work closely with staff, board and committees to effectively promote special events to target audiences and obtain accurate event specifications; prepare and distribute all marketing, publicity and print materials for the events
· Conduct periodic communications audit to ensure effectiveness and maximum ROI.
· Manage communications vendors effectively and to budget, i.e., printers, web, writers, photographers, etc.
· Manage communications budget; adhere to all organizational fiscal policies and procedures.
· Other responsibilities can be designed as needed
Skills and experience:
· Minimum 5 years progressive experience in communications, media relations, marketing or related field in support of early education, literacy, health and health initiatives.
· Experienced professional who thrives in a challenging environment, is disciplined and takes personal responsibility for results. Works well in teams, is flexible and committed to shared success.
· Demonstrated success in developing and implementing media relations, online media outreach and/or social marketing programs for traditional, new and emerging media.
· Thorough understanding of and experience with Web 2.0 tools and technologies, and consumer generated content sites. Prior participation in social networks, communities and forums.
· Superior writing skills; excellent verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to think creatively and solve problems; sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Additional education in media relations, new and emerging media, social marketing and/or consumer-related health care issues preferred.
1. Knowledge of consumer-based health issues or early childhood education issues.
2. Experience in the field of philanthropy or non-profits
3. Established relationships with Colorado journalists and media.
Benefits: Full benefits to include PTO and flex schedule
Job classification: Exempt, full-time
Some evening and weekend work may be required. Car and proof of insurance required.
To apply, please submit cover letter with desired salary range and resume to email@example.com. Put Communications Director in email subject line. No phone calls please.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.