Organization: Forward StepsTitle: Director of Development
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Location: Denver Metro Area
Organization Type: 501(c)(3)
Overview: Forward Steps assists youth who have emancipated from foster care to achieve self-sufficiency with an emphasis on post-secondary education.
Job Description/Examples of Work Performed
Forward Steps is seeking a Director of Development to help create and grow all aspects of our development program in the Denver metro and Boulder areas to create a diverse and multi-tiered community of donors. This position will report directly to the Executive Director and be responsible for the following:
Donor Cultivation – Individuals, Corporations, and Foundations (80%):
- In all three areas, identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new prospects in consultation with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Advisory Board.
- Expanding major gifts by corporate sponsors and individual donors in consultation with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Advisory Board.
- Developing an annual gift campaign.
- Ensuring stewardship and cultivation of current donors.
- Thanking donors promptly, appropriately, and with documentation of their gifts for their records.
- Unfaltering maintenance and recordkeeping through managment of the Forward Steps CRM to include:
- Documenting gifts, donor meetings and communications, arttendance at Forward Steps events and programs.
- Ensuring donor records are detailed, correct, and current.
- Analyzing revenue trends.
- Tracking fundraising, development, and relationship goals.
- Maintaining and improving the annual fundraiser event.
- Planning for an addition event(s) that will contribute to annual fundraising goals, and expand the organization’s reach in to Denver.
- Obtaining corporate sponsorship for events.
- Managing volunteers.
Meeting agreed upon expectations for fundraising campaigns, corporate sponsorships, major gifts, as well as generating community support.
Required Education/Experience (Minimum Qualifications)
- Bachelors degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated success in the development profession, particularly with best practices that serve smaller non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated success in donor cultivation, soliciation, and stewardship with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Excellent wwritten and orgal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience engaging a senior leadership team, coordinating with staff, and working with Boards, and volunteers.
- Demonstrated success with grant writing and fostering relationships with foundations.
- Experience in planning and coordinating events.
- Professiciency using
- Microsoft Office applicaitons (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access)
- Custom Relationship Management databases (such as eTapestry, DonorPerfect, NEON)
- Social Media applications for fundraising, communication and awareness campaigns
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizaiton skills to successfully navigate a work place that has multiple demands and is a loosely structured, sself-guided environment.
- Must be able to work with a high degree of indepeendence and with a flexible schedule, including the ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary, and a willingness to travel.
- Self-motivated and able to distill high-level goals into discrete, prioritized, and executable tasks to meet deadlines.
- Excellent follow through on projects.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team in an atmosphere of collegial decision-making and group participation. Demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and opinions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Understanding and adherence to office protocols and professional practices.
- Sensitivity to the impact and implications of individual decisions on Forward Steps.
- Ability to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
- Application are accepted electronically at email@example.com.
- Include a letter of application that addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications for the position.
- Provide a current resume.
- Provide the names, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references (references will not be contacted until final stages of application process).
- Be able to present at least 5 examples of successful fundraising, annual giving, and major gifts experiences.
- Please be sure that your application materials are complete.
Position is Full Time
Background Check Required
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.