Organization: Buell FoundationTitle: Grants Manager & Program/Communications Coordinator
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Subcategory: Administrative, Programs/Services
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
The Grants Manager works closely with all Foundation staff to manage the operational, data system and logistical functions of Buell Foundation grantmaking. Grants management is the position within the Foundation where all functions overlap. The Grants Manager ensures that grants management processes and systems are employed in an efficient manner and meet the needs of both staff and grantees. Attentive grant management enhances the Foundation’s effectiveness and reputation. The Grants Manager reports to the Manager of Special Projects and Communications and is an active member of the program team.
In addition to grants management, a portion of this position (approximately 25%) will support the program and communications functions of the Foundation. The Program/Communications Coordinator will work alongside Foundation staff to ensure that regular grantmaking, initiatives and special projects are completed to the highest level of quality. The Program/Communications Coordinator will also provide support for Foundation communications, including drafting and editing letters and press releases, updating the Foundation website, and contributing to other publications.
Essential Responsibilities – Grant Management (75% of the position)
- Manage operational and logistical functions of the grantmaking process, including application intake, data entry, preparation of contracts, management of grant modifications, grant reporting, and monitoring grantee compliance with requirements.
- Manage and maintain grant-tracking database and processes; ensure data is accurate and integrated across platforms.
- Develop, distribute and maintain formal communications related to grantees and grant applicants, including all documentation prepared for Board meetings.
- Produce regular and ad hoc grantmaking reports and perform data analysis as needed.
- Maintain policy and procedures manual and provide training to staff on grants processes, policies and systems.
- Conduct ongoing grants administration, program and foundation management research, including analysis of grant reports and program trends.
Essential Responsibilities – Program/Communications Coordinator (25% of position)
- Create initial drafts of correspondence requested by Executive Director, Manager of Special Projects and Communication, or other team members.
- Help structure external communications on the Foundation’s mission, goals and programs; contribute to Foundation publications, including the annual report and website and distribute correspondence; and other external communication (e.g. press releases, updates to Board, etc.).
- Assist with editing all reports and correspondence with special attention paid to accurate grammar, punctuation, and word sequencing.
- Provide support for Initiatives and Special Projects, including logistics for meetings and development of application and reporting templates.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of successful work experience in data information management systems, grants management, and/or business process management or 5 years of successful work experience in the same.
- Experience working with a database, building reports, running queries and maintaining accurate records; thorough, careful and accurate data entry skills; ability to collect, double-check and retrieve data using appropriate methods, procedures and/or technologies.
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent organizational skills with ability to quickly and effectively manage multiple tasks with deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement effective workflow processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-learner and use initiative to drive improvements to department systems.
- Excellent editing skills – adept at grammar, punctuation, spelling and word flow/sequencing.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (formatting text, charts, graphics, merging information, etc.); priority given to applicants with direct experience managing Microsoft Access databases.
- Familiarity with WordPress or another content management system preferred.
- Familiarity with the philanthropy or nonprofit sector preferred.
- Commitment to being an enthusiastic and collaborative member of a small, cross-functional team.
- Professional office environment.
- Workload may fluctuate due to deadlines and changing priorities.
- Extensive keyboard and computer monitor use.
- Exposure to sensitive and confidential information.
- Physical demands may involve lifting materials and equipment up to 25 pounds.
- Driving and occasional travel may be required.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- This is full-time, exempt position.
- Pay is commensurate with experience. The Buell Foundation provides a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, medical insurance, dental insurance, and retirement plan.
All applications should be emailed to Laura Carlson, Manager of Special Projects and Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by Friday, September 25, 2015 at 5:00pm MST. Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter detailing the applicant’s match with this position (particularly experience working in database management or grants management)
- Salary history
- Contact information for three business references, one of whom is/was an immediate supervisor with firsthand knowledge of applicant’s professional abilities
No phone calls, please.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.