Wondering what’s happening with state and federal policies that will impact your organization? Colorado Nonprofit Association makes it easy to stay in the loop.
Get Public Policy Updates
Read updates on public policy issues in our monthly Advocacy & Legal News email and in Nonprofit Colorado, our quarterly newsletter. We provide information and send action alerts to engage nonprofits in the most pivotal issues facing our state and sector.
Understand and Follow Important Bills
Stay attuned to what’s currently on the plate at the Colorado General Assembly by following our breakdown of key bills for Colorado’s nonprofit community. We make it simple by posting updated lists of all the bills that we follow throughout the session at State Bill Colorado.
After the session concludes, we post a report with the outcomes of all relevant bills.
Get Savvy about the Legislature
The Nonprofit Capitol Training is our annual event designed to help nonprofits build relationships with their state legislators, learn how to navigate the Capitol and build their advocacy chops. Stay tuned for the 2017 training date.
Download Your Advocacy Toolkit
Colorado Nonprofit Association has created a free toolkit to boost your organization's advocacy prowess. The rules and best practices for 501(c)(3)s regarding legislative advocacy, media, and voter engagement can be a little foggy. Our toolkit breaks down your opportunities as well as gives pointers on how to effectively work with public officials and the media.
Get Your Board Involved
Find out more about Stand for Your Mission - a national effort to get more board members involved in nonprofit advocacy.
- How to contact Colorado’s members of Congress
- General Assembly Session Information - Information on the legislative calendar, bills, journals, audio and videos from chamber and committee hearings.
- Find Your Legislator - Interactive map to help you find which legislators represent your community. Openstates.org is another helpful resource to find your legislators.
- Colorado Legislative Council - Includes links to several guides:
- Colorado Revised Statutes and Constitution
- Meet Your Elected Official - Tips on meeting with a Colorado legislator.
- How to Create a Fact Sheet - Includes information on how to create effective fact sheets.
- Lobbying by Letter or Email - Includes information on how to create an effective letter or email.
- Legislator Appointments - tips for setting up appointments with legislators.
To learn more about any of these resources, contact Mark Turner, Senior Director of Public Policy.