The Institute for Environmental Solutions (IES) is an independent non-profit organization that delivers scientific solutions to improve our health and environment. IES is seeking motivated students and intern volunteers who are passionate about protecting the environment! We are working on exciting projects to reduce air and water pollution, improve human health, teach children to become environmental stewards, and restore trails and open space.
These are part-time, unpaid intern positions (4 to 16 hours/week) based in Denver with a flexible schedule.
IES does not have a central office. Interns work independently, and participate in Institute and Project meetings once a week in Denver. To learn more about IES projects, visit www.i4es.org.
ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS: IES seeks enthusiastic graduate students and intern volunteers to join one of our two project teams: The Tree Project or the Chemical Footprint Project.
The Tree Project’s mission is to improve Colorado cities using tree science; restore natural systems and urban green infrastructure; and educate children and adults to become environmental stewards.
The Chemical Footprint Project seeks to reduce chemical footprints to improve water quality and human and environmental health.
Examples of possible intern responsibilities include:
- Program work in all phases of the projects, including project planning, environmental analysis, school workshops, tree planting, water pollution prevention, community involvement, budgets, landscape design, business and citizen outreach
- Independent research and analysis on environmental and urban planning issues
- Project design, implementation, community workshops, and educational programs.
- Grant proposals to support project work.
FUNDRAISING: Assist IES with grant writing and fundraising. Research funding opportunities to support IES activities. Write, edit, and submit letters of inquiry and grant proposals. Grant writing, fundraising, and marketing experience is a plus, but not required.
SOCIAL MEDIA: Create and execute social media that builds IES’s online presence and increases support. Maintain the IES Facebook page and establish IES on other social media sites. A strong understanding of social media and marketing is desired.
QUALIFICATIONS: We look for interns who are:
- Have a high attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Able to tackle challenging problems with minimal guidance
- Graduate student or college graduate (bachelor’s degree required)
- All levels of experience are welcome. Training provided.
Completed studies in environmental science, chemistry, biology, engineering, urban planning, landscape architecture, public health, economics, marketing, or nonprofit management are desired, but not mandatory.
IES helps interns gain experience to advance their careers. Interns are able to self-guide their involvement in IES, creating the opportunity for them to meet their own goals with team member input and support. Students are encouraged to apply IES work to academic courses, if desired, with support from IES staff members.