Growing Gardens’ mission is to enrich the lives of our community through sustainable urban agriculture. We envision people experiencing a direct and deep connection with plants, the land and each other. Growing Gardens unites the Boulder County community through urban agriculture projects, such as: The Cultiva Youth Project (Ages 12 – 19), The Children’s Peace Garden (Ages 3 – 11), Community Classes, Growing Gardens Food Project, the Community Gardens, and our Community Orchard.
The Non-Profit Operations Intern will support all Growing Gardens programs and be a community ambassador for the organization. This internship is fast paced and requires a great deal of hard work, attention to detail, and focus. It is also deeply rewarding. This is an ideal way to gain a more comprehensive look into the day-to-day workings of a non-profit.
Operations Intern Duties
● Assist with Growing Gardens online registration for all community programs
● Assist with registration tracking, and follow up with program participants for program registration payments as needed.
● Organize and distribute participant information for instructors and/or garden leaders
● Be an ambassador for Growing Gardens and positively engage with the community during all outreach events
● Facilitate garden development projects at our Community Garden locations as needed.
Event Planning and Execution
● Provide preparation and staffing support for the Growing Gardens Community Harvest Fest and other events
General Operational Support
● Answer the office telephone and make follow up phone calls
● Provide additional administrative support as needed
● Update the website, develop IT systems as needed
Knowledge and Skills the Intern May Acquire:
● Exposure to the operations of a non-profit, community-based organization.
● Current marketing and social media practices and platforms
● Introduction to grant-writing and fundraising
● Networking in local community with press, agriculture and natural foods industries
● Conflict resolution, volunteer coordination and communication skills
● The ability to work in a dynamic, team environment
● Database management and business systems development
Structure of Internship
● Internship duration is September 1 – December 15, 2017
● Intern position is 20 hours per week. *Note: hours may vary between weeks; however the average number of hours per week will be 20 hours. Hours primarily take place during the week, however there is some required weekend work.
● Intern will attend internship orientation meeting.
● Intern will be working closely with a mentor from Growing Gardens’ staff who will oversee all daily activities and meet with the internship supervisor once a month.
● Intern will have a monthly check-in with the Intern Supervisor
● Interns will have the opportunity to shadow Growing Gardens’ staff and attend staff meetings to learn about the operation of the non-profit organization.
Benefits of Interning with Growing Gardens
● Experience working on a diversified vegetable farm
● Hands-on experience making a positive impact in the lives of children, teens, and adults.
● Community connections and networking within the burgeoning local food movement.
● Friendly, relaxed environment.
● Develop marketable leadership and management skills.
● Classroom training offered through Growing Gardens classes.
● Access to a wide variety of organic seeds and plant starts.
● Possibility to garden in one of our gardens at the Hawthorn Garden site.
● Fresh vegetables from the garden as the season permits.
● Office is centrally located and easily accessed via public transportation.
● $600 Stipend awarded at end of commitment
We are looking for an outgoing, friendly person with excellent communications skills with experience in Excel, Word, Adobe Photoshop and knowledge of social media best practices. Our staff and youth enjoy their time together in the garden and office and we’d love for someone with a sense of humor to join us while we have fun and do good work. The Non-Profit Operations Intern must be responsible, dedicated and organized. This experience is a great opportunity for someone interested in a job in Non-Profit development, marketing, or community organizing.