RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Overseeing and managing accounting functions and financial reporting activities, including but not limited to, full cycle general ledger, grant accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, travel reimbursement, fixed assets, the monthly and year-end close processes. Responsible for financial statement preparation, assisting CFO with audits, taxes, planning, analysis plus general and administrative cost control.
- Responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining policies and procedures that are GAAP, GASB and tax compliant and supportive of the business.
- Oversee and manage the accounting and financial systems and records, including general ledger, monthly close, subsidiary ledgers and account reconciliations.
- Prepares and analyzes details of monthly financial statements which summarize the organization’s financial position, results of operations and cash flows.
- Prepares monthly management reports including budget and prior year comparison analysis.
- Establish, implement and maintain internal accounting controls, policies, and procedures to ensure all financial transactions are executed and documented in accordance with GAAP.
- Resolve daily operational accounting and reporting issues.
- Provide oversight and training to accounting staff.
- Review work performed by staff and serve as resource for questions.
- Analyze balance sheet to ensure accruals are properly stated, reconciliations properly prepared and support for balance sheet accounts are properly maintained.
- Analyze expense trends to assure accruals are properly stated at month-end.
- Work with external audit firm to plan and execute efficient year-end financial statement audits.
- Communicate business and accounting issues or changes as they occur to CFO and NCSL staff.
- Work as a networked partner with other members of the management team.
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities of approximately 5 staff members.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, copy machines, scanners and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; stand; walk; open filing cabinets; bend; stoop; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may need to lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs. Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally by plane, including overnight and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.