Manage and direct all organizational finances, planning, reporting and controls. Oversees all financial functions including accounting, budget, credit, risk, tax, and treasury. Responsibilities include complex data analysis, budget forecasting, overseeing accounts and budgets, and making policy, procedural and strategic financial decisions that will promote long-term financial soundness.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide financial oversight for all areas of the organization’s fiscal functions and reporting.
- Provide financial and strategic insight and expertise to the CEO and Board’s Finance Committee.
- Prepare annual budget, starting with input and review of department-level budgets through final presentation to, and approval by, the board.
- Closely monitor revenue and expenditures and produce monthly financial statements for distribution to Finance Committee, Executive Committee and Board of Directors. Provide financial analysis as needed.
- Oversee audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with outside audit firms and review firms’ performance
- Develop, implement and maintain accounting and administrative policies and procedures for a wide-ranging set of activities including financial accounting and reporting.
- Consults with HR Manager and may provide limited guidance regarding employee relations (hiring/terminating policies) and other corporate policies.
- Oversee the production of variance and other financial reports for Directors.
- Prepare short and long-term financial forecasts of financial performance for use with internal management and external parties.
- Provide financial guidance and oversight to department directors on a monthly basis.
- Work closely with the Development Director to ensure accurate and consistent revenue reporting to the CEO and Board of Trustees.
- Responsible for maintenance of payroll processes and procedures (bi-weekly), employee benefits and maintenance of 403(b) Plan.
- Coordinate the annual independent accountant audits and preparation of IRS Form 990. Schedule presentation of final audit reports and Form 990 to Finance Committee and Board. Responsible for timely filing of HUD audit and Form 990.
- Manage cash flow through monitoring of bank accounts, using credit line and margin borrowing, when necessary.
- Ensure accurate interactions between organization’s accounting software (MIP) and HUD required software and Childcare Manager accounting software.
- Oversee all corporate investments. Coordinate related policy and transactions with Finance Committee.
- Provide risk management services, including review and renewal of all insurance policies for property, liability and Workers Compensation.
- In coordination with the Administration Manager and other appropriate staff, coordinate all contracts with outside vendors to the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the propensity to successfully foster new and maintain long-standing business relationships
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and written; skilled in the art of negotiation.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and delegate responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner
- Outstanding integrity, solid moral judgment, and the ability to make important decisions under pressure
- Expert problem solver, analytical thinker, and decision-maker
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with all levels of the organization. Possess strong leadership skills and business acumen
- Extensive experience with identifying internal control weakness and taking corrective action.
- Strong knowledge of accounting software packages (MAS 90 or MAS 200 preferred) and Microsoft products.
- Strong understanding of Federal and State government funded programs and the related reporting requirements preferred.
- Experience with HUD accounting preferred.
- Proficiency in all aspects of corporate accounting and all pertinent GAAP, SEC rules and regulations including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Working knowledge of all corporate and human resource activities including employee benefits, retirement plans, corporate insurance and related activities; will work with HR Manager in these areas.