• Ensure discretion with confidential information.
• Maintains courteous, helpful and professional behavior on the job. Will support the success of the entire team by promoting a collaborative work environment.
• Adheres to all CMZoo policies and procedures, CMZoo safety policies and procedures and OSHA safety guidelines.
• Consistently contributes to problem solving and cooperates with identified resolutions.
• Must demonstrate regular attendance and punctuality.
• Brings issues and process improvement ideas to the attention of the Supervisor.
• Maintains verbal and written skills required for the position.
• Attends meetings and participates in committees as required.
• Completes trainings as required.
• Adheres to company dress code policy. Always “Zoo Crisp!”
• Demonstrates appropriate level of time management in support of co-workers and the entire team.
• Represents the Zoo in a professional manner.
• Required to be trained in and maintain a minimum of two Emergency Response Team positions.
• Full-time work schedule will include Saturday coverage (various evenings or early mornings required for special event coverage)
• Work schedule will change to support event planning and execution.
• Flexibility during events to manage ongoing social media and PR duties, while assisting with planning and execution of special events throughout the year.
• May be required to drive personal and/or Zoo vehicle, as well as transport some animal species for promotional appearances.
• Required to be trained in and carefully execute outreach animal handling procedures.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Maintain a daily presence on social media through promotional and informational postings.
• Respond to “fan”-initiated interaction and engagement on all social media channels and review sites.
• Create and establish social media promotions to drive attendance during low season.
• Ensure that special events and programs are promoted effectively via our social media channels and other online media.
Event Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist with on-site success during all major events throughout the year at CMZoo.
• Assist the Special Events Manager in the planning, development, promotion and execution of all Zoo marketing events, including serving as the volunteer coordinator for those events.
• Promote attendance at Zoo events through all social media and PR channels.
• Actively participate in set-up, tear-down and event staffing, as required.
• Work with the Marketing team to grow existing events such as Boo at the Zoo and Electric Safari by enhancing the guest experience and increasing event awareness.
• Work with members of all departments to execute events and promotions unique to their department
(camps, animal birthday parties, baby naming contests, conservation effort awareness, etc.).
• Work with the PR Manager to plan and implement a comprehensive public relations program that ensures CMZoo remains top of mind locally, while building image regionally, nationally and within the industry and across all media platforms (print, broadcast, online).
• Draft and edit press releases and articles to high standard consistent with company messaging and editorial guidelines, as assigned.
• Must have excellent grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Stay abreast of AP Style changes and communicate them to the team.
• Manage social media content calendar with daily content, including supportive event and campaign posts.
• Accountable for researching, developing, and finalizing all daily social media content.
• Function as a secondary Zoo spokesperson, when needed.
• Assist with fielding media inquiries and chaperoning on-site media requests, as assigned.
• Assist with maintaining and executing a viable crisis communications plan.
• Assist with developing, planning and executing all press previews, grand opening ceremonies/events, etc.
• Communicate with Zoo personnel to remain abreast of events, cultivate on-going story ideas and provide support for all Zoo programs/departments.
• Assist with planning, editing and producing CMZoo publications, including the monthly newsletter, annual report, letters and assorted collateral pieces.
• Assist with administration of photo and press clip library.
• When needed, professionally plan and execute media and promotional appearances, including oncamera interviews and animal handling.
Must be a self-starter, take initiative, possess a high level of multi-tasking ability under high degree of pressure and be able to work with limited supervision.
EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
Must be a cooperative and collaborative member of the team and able to handle interruptions and requests for information and assistance from employees with an attitude of good customer service.
ACCURACY AND EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT
The need for timeliness for other required activities creates pressure. The ability to prioritize tasks and use time effectively is essential.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This position handles highly sensitive information. Total confidentiality and discretion are mandatory regarding business information and other sensitive information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical Requirements - Requires full range of body motion, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination; requires the ability to use department equipment, to communicate effectively; requires standing, walking on a steep terrain (Zoo), sitting (possibly for long periods of time) and performing repetitive tasks (including working on the computer) for up to the entire work day; requires the ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds using appropriate body mechanics.
• Visual, Hearing and Communication Requirements - Requires corrected vision and hearing to within normal range, with or without reasonable accommodation. Must be able to communicate effectively in verbal and written form with all levels of personnel within and outside of the organization.
• Environmental Conditions – Working in a closed office environment. Work space may be shared. Working conditions may be noisy with fluctuating indoor and/or outdoor temperatures. May be exposed to a risk of bodily injury through contact with moving instrumentation, substances and other conditions common to an office environment. Subject to exposure to animals which may have the potential for physical aggression. May be exposed to a risk of bodily injury through contact with moving instrumentation, toxic substances, bodily fluids, animal attack, communicable diseases, outdoor weather conditions and other conditions common in a Zoo environment. Subject to unpleasant odors.
• Pressure Factor - Requires working under stressful conditions. Moderate pressure to meet scheduled and recurring deadlines.