The Colorado Nonprofit Pro Bono Legal Group (PBLG) is an initiative of Colorado Nonprofit Association and the Colorado Lawyers Committee effectively matching nonprofits in need of legal assistance with volunteer lawyers who can help.
Before You Start
Three important requirements:
- Organizations must attain 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status prior to requesting pro bono legal services.
- Organizations must be located in Colorado.
- The payment of standard legal fees would significantly deplete the organization’s resources.
Areas of Assistance
Volunteer lawyers can assist in many areas including:
- Governance and Management - Liability / Risk Management, Corporate Policies, Bylaws, Advocacy, Mergers, Dissolution.
- Transparency and Accountability - Public Disclosure, Regulatory Compliance, Form 990 Compliance Policies, Multi-jurisdiction, State and Local Tax Exemptions.
- Fundraising - Charitable Contributions, Planned Giving/Estate Planning, Donor Restrictions, Licensing.
- Human Resources - Employment Law, Personnel Policies, Unemployment.
- Contracts - Strategic Partnerships, Real Estate, Service Agreements, Fiscal Sponsorship.
Pro Bono Legal Group Requests
Submitting a request through the Pro Bono Legal Group does not guarantee legal counsel for your organization. We simply make your request available to a lawyer who may decide to assist your organization. We encourage you to maintain your own efforts to secure needed assistance. Acceptance of each request is dependent upon the professional and personal criteria of the individual attorneys who volunteer their time and expertise.
Pro Bono Legal Group assistance is NOT available for:
- Suing nonprofits or individuals: This program is meant to strengthen nonprofits and most civil suits fall outside the boundaries of this program.
- Nonprofit startup: For resources regarding starting a nonprofit, please visit our Start-Up & Nonprofit Basics FAQs.
Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinics
The Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic is an opportunity for smaller nonprofits to receive a complete legal health check for free. Nonprofits are matched with volunteer attorneys who will review governing documents and paperwork, assess potential problem areas, and provide legal advice to ensure your organization is in compliance with best practices and Federal, State and Local regulations.
Clinics are held twice a year - during the Summer and Winter.
- 501(c)(3) organizations located in Colorado
- Organizations with budgets of $500,000 or less
- Organizations that would like a complete legal health check (please, submit a Pro Bono Legal Request if you have a specific legal question)
- Date: July 26, 2017
- Time: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Location: Sherman & Howard L.L.C., Denver, CO
The Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic is sponsored by: