President Obama signed the $940 billion Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) on March 23, 2010.
Colorado Nonprofit Association put together an overview of federal healthcare reform that outlines specific provisions in the Affordable Care Act that affect nonprofits, both as employers and as service providers.
Overview of PPACA
The Act, among other changes, expands access to coverage for the uninsured and prevents denial of insurance for pre-existing conditions. Some of the key provisions that affect nonprofits include:
- Health Benefit Exchange and Essential Health Benefits
- Small Employer Credit
- Individual Affordability and Medicaid Expansion
- Individual Mandate and Employer Responsibility
- Cadillac Plans and Nonprofit Hospitals
- Coverage and Market Reforms
- Preventative Services
- Premium Rate Review and Cost-Sharing
- Upcoming Changes: Sample Employer Notice
- Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions
- Connect for Health Colorado’s tax credit calculator
- Coverage under the Affordable Care Act
- National Council of Nonprofits’ FAQs on the Affordable Care Act.
- Small Business Majority’s Health Coverage Guide
- Independent Sector’s analyses of the health care reform bill
- Kaiser’s homepage for updates on the Affordable Care Act