The Colorado Nonprofit Pro Bono Legal Group (PBLG) is an initiative of Colorado Nonprofit Association and the Colorado Lawyers Committee effectively matching nonprofits in need of legal assistance with volunteer lawyers who can help.
Participating Organization Criteria
- Organizations must attain 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status prior to requesting pro bono legal services.
- Organizations must be located in Colorado.
- The payment of standard legal fees would significantly deplete the organization’s resources.
Areas of Assistance
Volunteer lawyers may assist in transactional-type issues, including:
- Governance and Management - Liability / Risk Management, Corporate Policies, Bylaws, Advocacy, Mergers, Dissolution.
- Transparency and Accountability - Public Disclosure, Regulatory Compliance, Form 990 Compliance Policies, Multi-jurisdiction, State and Local Tax Exemptions.
- Fundraising - Charitable Contributions, Planned Giving/Estate Planning, Donor Restrictions, Licensing.
- Human Resources - Employment Law, Personnel Policies, Unemployment.
- Contracts - Strategic Partnerships, Real Estate, Service Agreements, Fiscal Sponsorship.
Pro Bono Legal Group Requests
Submitting a request through the Pro Bono Legal Group does not guarantee legal counsel for your organization. We simply make your request available to a lawyer who may decide to assist your organization. We encourage you to maintain your own efforts to secure needed assistance. Acceptance of each request is dependent upon the professional and personal criteria of the individual attorneys who volunteer their time and expertise.
Pro Bono Legal Group assistance is NOT available for:
- Suing nonprofits or individuals: This program is meant to strengthen nonprofits and most civil suits fall outside the boundaries of this program.
- Nonprofit startup: For resources regarding starting a nonprofit, please visit our Start-Up & Nonprofit Basics FAQs.
- Individuals: This program is designed to assist nonprofit organizations. If you are an individual in need of pro bono legal assistance, please visit the Colorado Bar Association.
In partnership with:
The Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic is a great opportunity for small, Colorado nonprofits to receive a free legal assessment. Meet with volunteer business attorneys who will review your paperwork, assess potential problem areas and address special legal issues.
Nonprofits that are eligible for the Pro Bono Legal Group are also eligible to apply for the Legal Audit Clinic.
Assistance may be given in the following areas:
- Legal Form and Governance
- Reporting and Compliance with Federal, State and Local Regulations
- Employment and Human Resources
- Lobbying and Political Campaign Activities
- Compliance with Restrictions and Program Specific Requirements
- Finances and Fiscal Management
We're planning our next clinic! Check back in for more information and to register.