Organization: Environmental Learning for KidsTitle: Development Associate
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
Job Title: Development Associate
Location: ELK Office – 6060 Broadway Denver, CO 80216
Status: Part-Time Employee
Reports To:Corporate Relations and Marketing Director
ELK (Environmental Learning for Kids) is an inclusive non-profit organization that develops inspired and responsible leaders through science education and outdoor experiences for underserved, urban youth ages 5-25. ELK inspires youth to have high expectations of themselves by exposing them to the outdoors and engaging them in service learning projects. For many of the youth ELK serves, it’s their first experience with the outdoors. ELK educates youth through science and environmental education embedded in all programs and activities to further students’ understanding and attitudes toward science, the outdoors, their communities, college, and careers. ELK transforms youth by endowing them with increased academic skills, civic and community leadership, environmental stewardship, and employment opportunities.
The Development Associate assists the Corporate Relations and Marketing Director and Development Director in securing the resources necessary for ELK to achieve its mission. This position ensures effective operation of the Development Department through database maintenance, donor and funder research and tracking, donor stewardship, special event planning and implementation, and smaller dollar fundraising asks. Areas of functional expertise include: high level of organization and attention to detail, data entry, community engagement and outreach, fundraising, communications and problem solving.
Some evening and weekend work is required in meeting position responsibilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Fundraising – 70% of employee’s time (75% Programs, 20% Fundraising, 5% General Admin)
- Serves as lead Development Department user of the donor database and files including data entry, tracking and reporting.
- Maintains donor stewardship process including gift entry, acknowledgement, communications, and reporting.
- Maintains direct mail process including tracking, pulling and maintaining mailing lists, processing large and small mailing projects and tracking effectiveness of direct mail projects.
- Assists Development Department in the individual donor program including research, tracking, reporting and stewardship.
- Assists Development Department with special events (fundraisers/friendraisers) including planning, implementation, evaluation and stewardship.
- Performs research and information gathering for projects and individuals as needed. Prepares reports and performs special projects for Directors.
Marketing – 20% of employee’s time (75% Programs, 20% Fundraising, 5% General Admin)
- Maintains database photo library and marketing/PR files.
- Assists the Corporate Relations and Marketing Director in social media, website and other marketing maintenance.
- Assists Development Department in marketing material development and implementation including newsletter and other content development, tracking and mailing.
Other Duties – 10% of employee’s time (75% Programs, 20% Fundraising, 5% General Admin)
- Assists Development Leadership with other duties including volunteer cultivation/ retention and administrative support.
- Provides direct support to program staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience.
Experience: 1-2 years of broad experience in nonprofit development, special events, database maintenance, volunteer management or marketing preferred. Experience successfully completing projects with minimal oversight. Must have high level of attention to detail, flexible work style, and be very self motivated
CBI/FBI Background check required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent skills in initiating and building relationships.
- Excellent computer skills in database entry and maintenance and web-based media
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to be able to communicate effectively with diverse groups of people and partners including knowledge and skills in business English, grammatical construction, spelling, punctuation, arithmetic and vocabulary.
- Strong Microsoft Excel experience with spreadsheet design, formatting, and use of functions/formulas.
- Excellent organizational, scheduling, multi-tasking and problem-solving skills. Must be able to anticipate and plan for needed steps to meet deadlines.
- High level of professionalism, discretion and commitment to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to develop good team relationships with coworkers, Board and key stakeholder groups.
- Ability to learn quickly and function effectively in fast-paced and time-sensitive environment.
- Interest in ELK’s mission and learning more about science and natural resources of Colorado through ELK’s educational programs; enjoy spending some time with children/youth.
- Bilingual – a plus
Status: Part-time (20-25 hours per week); Pay Rate: $17.25 per hour
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Kristina Opre at email@example.com by February 12th, 2016. Please include the position title in the subject line of the e-mail.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.