Organization: The Denver FoundationTitle: Director of Operations
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
Job Title: Director of Operations
Reports To: Alyssa Kopf, Vice President of Strategic Services
Position Summary: The Director of Operations works closely with the VP of Strategic Services to oversee the business operations, human resources, and administration support services that facilitate The Denver Foundation’s commitment to excellence and innovation. Working with staff in all departments, the Director of Operations analyzes complex systems, leads cross-departmental project teams, and maintains a Foundation-wide approach to organizational management.
About The Denver Foundation: The mission of The Denver Foundation is to inspire people and mobilize resources to strengthen our community. Since 1925, The Denver Foundation has helped generous people like you to be catalysts for good by building charitable legacies. As Colorado’s oldest and largest community foundation, we help people give back to Metro Denver in ways that are meaningful – to them and to the community. The Denver Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Advance the development and documentation of improved operational systems, business processes, information flow, and organizational policies across the Foundation.
- Lead interdepartmental teams in analyzing complex systems, processes, and activities and proposing improvements and solutions.
- Provide planning and systems consultation to all departments as requested.
- Manage the organization’s Admin Pool including project assignments and scheduling.
- Supervise the Human Resource Manager, including setting strategic priorities, monitoring changes to staffing structure, and promoting a culture of learning and professional growth.
- Monitor the supplementary human resource needs of the organization including contractors, interns, and temporary employees.
- Oversee the implementation of the performance management system, including training supervisors on goal setting and providing feedback to employees.
- Support the development of a dynamic, productive, and inclusive organizational culture.
- Demonstrated experience producing excellent, detail-oriented work while maintaining a systems-wide approach.
- Experience with identifying and developing systems improvement opportunities.
- Experience with business process analysis, visualization, and documentation.
- Excellent project management skills; able to lead staff teams successfully through major initiatives.
- General knowledge of information technology systems and their role in accomplishing organizational goals.
- Knowledge and experience in organizational development and effectiveness.
- Experience in HR including developing job descriptions, leading a hiring process, managing conflict resolution, and analyzing staff structure.
- Clear understanding of change theory and ability to thrive in change.
- Educational background or certification in organizational management, (e.g. Lean Six Sigma).
- Experience in designing and implementing a performance management program.
- Proficiency in implementing technology solutions including training staff.
- Quantitative evaluation skills and experience in data collection.
- Understanding of the nonprofit sector and its role in the community.
Work Environment: The position is based in an office environment with a mix of private offices and cubicles. Travel throughout the metro Denver region is an occasional requirement of the job. The position will occasionally be asked to staff weekend and evening events.
- Daily extended hours in front of a computer screen with or without accommodations.
- Frequent communication via phone.
- Occasional carrying of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Regular public speaking during staff meetings and trainings.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Must be able to provide at least three professional references.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
Compensation: The Denver Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits package including paid time off, retirement contribution, tuition assistance, and medical, life, and disability insurances.
Application Process: Interested applicants should send (1) cover letter, (2) résumé, (3) salary history, and (4) three work-related references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to describing your relevant experience and skills, in your cover letter please highlight a time you led a change in business operations and lessons learned from that experience. Applications should be submitted by June 10, 2016.
The Denver Foundation’s Anti-Discrimination Policy: The Denver Foundation shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provision of services.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.