Organization: Glory CommunityTitle: Executive Director
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
About Glory Community
Established as a 501(C)3 nonprofit organization in 2005, Glory Community is a faith-based organization where adults with developmental disabilities live, work and socialize together. Construction of the first home was finished in 2012 and houses eight men with a two-bedroom apartment for the live-in caretaking couple. Glory Community was created to offer a private option to families looking for a faith-based Christian environment and family-oriented community for their son or daughter with intellectual disabilities. The need for living options for adults with developmental disabilities is great and growing. In the United States, over one million individuals live with parents or caregivers over the age of 60. Colorado has twelve thousand individuals living with aging parents and currently ranks 48th in the nation on monies spent for services for people with developmental disabilities. Given the staggering waitlist for immediate residential services, Glory Community is dedicated to providing a viable solution for 40 adults. This residential community is centered on lifelong opportunities for vocational, social, emotional and spiritual growth.
The services of Glory Community are operated free of government support, financed by resident fees and contributions (individual, corporate, organizational), fundraising events, and grants. The current annual operating budget is $250,000. When Glory Community is built out, there will be five homes on a cul-de-sac with eight residents of one gender in each home. The future for Glory Community also includes developing a business enterprise off campus to not only employ the residents, but to also put the profits from the business into the overall operating budget, thus maintaining a reasonable tuition for the families.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned manager (preferably with experience in the provision of services for people with developmental disabilities) with demonstrated success in fundraising. The ideal candidate will genuinely share the vision of Glory Community. Glory Community is dedicated to offering various opportunities for spiritual growth for its residents and to ensure that environment is maintained, the incumbent for this position is expected to be a person with high personal integrity, character and reputation.
Day-to-day operations of the corporation are under the direction of the Executive Director, reporting to and serving at the pleasure of the Board (on which the Executive Director is an ex-officio member). Staffing, organization and operational planning, decision making and execution, and direction of fundraising will be his/her primary responsibilities.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission. Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Participates with the Board of Directors in maintaining the Glory Community vision and a supportive strategic plan to ensure this vision is implemented.
2) Operational Planning & Management: Oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services to ensure that the programs and services contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
3) Financial Planning & Management: Plans for adequate resources and ensure sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures
- Work with staff and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget and administer funds according to the budget;; control the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization including researching funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization.
4) Marketing Management: Develop & implement effective marketing programs for the recruitment of new residents and identification of new major donors for Glory Community.
- Develop & implement effective social media tools to aid in the accomplishment of marketing objectives.
- Identify and hire Marketing Staff with proven accomplishments in major fundraising for nonprofits.
5) Human Resource Planning & Management: Determine, fulfill and oversee staffing requirements and policies for organizational management and program delivery.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization’s mission.
- Ensure that appropriate training is provided and implement a performance management process for all staff.
- Coach, mentor and discipline staff as appropriate to improve performance.
6) Risk Management: Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
PROFESSIONAL & PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, personal attributes and/or ability required.
1) Education and Experience: At least an undergraduate degree in Business, Finance or Non-Profit Administration.
- Ten (10) years of progressive management experience in the non-profit sector with a proven track record in fundraising.
- 2 to 5 years experience working with developmentally challenged adults would be highly desirable.
- Incumbents are expected to participate in on-going professional training opportunities to enhance their knowledge of specific disabilities in order to better understand the client’s medical, psychological and vocational needs.
2) Skills and Abilities: Incumbents should possess mature personal characteristics such as patience, tolerance, compassion and a willingness to learn more about specific disabilities. Incumbents must have a strong sense of serving and caring for the needs of adults with functional disabilities. In addition, incumbents must possess strong written and verbal language skills and be competent in using associated computer systems & software as required.
3) Reasoning Ability: Incumbents should have maturity and common sense to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of issues that may arise when working with clients and their families.
4) Personal Attributes: Incumbents will have direct personal contact with the residents of Glory Community Assisted Living and must be responsible and of good moral character. Glory Community is operated in a Christian environment and offers various opportunities for spiritual growth for its residents. To ensure that environment is maintained, the incumbent for this position is expected to be a mature adult with personal integrity, character and reputation consistent with this goal who will be a role model of Glory Community values for our residents and Staff. The incumbent must be in good physical, mental and emotional health as evidenced by a stable, even disposition, a sense of humor and ego strength that subordinates personal, self-centered preferences and convenience to the greater good of the Corporation, its Staff and its residents.
The projected compensation range for the chosen candidate will be competitive and in accordance with the background and experience of the candidate. Glory Community offers healthcare benefits and retirement plan contributions.
To apply for this position, submit resume to Bruce Scott, The Moran Company.
Copy and paste this link into your browser:
The Glory Community is an Equal Opportunity Institution and EEO/Affirmative Action Employer committed to excellence through diversity. Employment offers are made on the basis of qualifications and without regard to race, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, age or veteran status.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.