Organization: Volunteers for Outdoor ColoradoTitle: Marketing and Communications Manager
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Location: Denver Metro Area
Organization Type: 501(c)(3)
Position: Marketing and Communications Manager
Position Type: Year-round, full-time, exempt
Organization: Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado, Denver, CO
Compensation: Salary range from $ 39,500- $45,000, experience dependent
VOC offers a competitive employment package, including health, dental, disability, and retirement benefit options.
Posting Closing Date: Friday, April 18, 2014 by 5:00 PM
Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC) is a statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to motivating and enabling people to become active stewards of Colorado’s natural resources. Founded in 1984, VOC is a nationally recognized leader in outdoor stewardship volunteerism, having helped more than 96,000 people of all ages get involved in and become inspired to care for Colorado’s outdoors. This year represents VOC’s 30th anniversary and the organization is celebrating with a variety of stewrdship projects and special activities, including statewide commemorative projects and an August 2014 public event in downtown Denver.
Volunteer Opportunities for Everyone-Central to VOC’s mission is our volunteer program, which engages thousands of volunteers of all ages, interests, and backgrounds each year. In 2013, VOC volunteers dedicated more than 36,000 hours of time giving back to Colorado – a value of $800,000. Working in partnership with land managers and agencies across the state, VOC organizes and manages a wide array of outdoor stewardship volunteer opportunities each year, designed to engage a variety of audiences, while at the same time addressing critical stewardship needs across the state. Under VOC’s leadership, volunteers are able to make a rewarding impact on Colorado’s outdoors through hands-on work in wildfire land restoration, trail building and maintenance, tree planting and re-forestation, and much more.
Inspiring the Next Generation of Stewards-Youth are the outdoor stewards of tomorrow. By helping young people connect with the outdoors and understand the importance of caring for our natural resources, we endeavor to instill in them a stewardship ethic that becomes a lifelong commitment. VOC offers a host of youth and family programs designed to inspire these young stewards, from family-friendly volunteer opportunities, to the award-winning Cairn high school program, to educational programs for youngsters ages 6-10.
Training Outdoor Stewardship Leaders - Skilled and effective leadership is critical both to delivering a rewarding volunteer experience, and to ensuring stewardship work is productive and sustainable. VOC’s Outdoor Stewardship Institute (OSI) has been the leading source of training programs that prepare people to be outdoor stewardship leaders since 1986. OSI trains hundreds of leaders every year, not only to lead VOC volunteers, but also for government agencies and stewardship organizations across the U.S.
Expanding Stewardship Capacity Throughout the State-VOC is leading numerous efforts to foster greater engagement of volunteers in outdoor stewardship throughout Colorado – from hosting the statewide Colorado Outdoor Stewardship Coalition, to conducting studies that measure volunteer impact and needs cross-agency, to building volunteer programs around the state in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and the BLM.
Please visit www.voc.org for more information on the organization.
Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado seeks a dynamic and experienced Marketing and Communications Manager to develop and execute communications and marketing strategies and tactics that promote our mission, raise awareness of the organization, and uphold the VOC brand. This is a hands-on position responsible for the website, email newsletters, social media, marketing materials, media relations, as well as planning and budgeting. The Marketing and Communications Manager works closely with internal staff as well as outside partners, vendors, contractors, and the media. He/she is part of a communication team that works collaboratively with one another. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Planning, budgeting, and reporting
- Create and implement an annual marketing and communications plan and budget.
- Monitor, measure, and report on the effectiveness of communication and marketing strategies and tactics.
- Review VOC’s current social marketing reach (e.g., Newsletter subscribers, Facebook) in order to establish a baseline for assessing the success of future outreach/marketing efforts.
Marketing & Communications
- Serve as the primary resource and support for marketing and promotional activities across the organization (headquarters and field offices).
- Develop and implement advertising campaigns (Google AdWords, Colorado Public Radio, print media, etc.).
- Develop and coordinate social media outreach campaigns and contests– develop strategy, generate content, solicit content from staff/volunteers, track effectiveness.
- Monitor and protect the VOC brand by assuring correct usage of name, logo(s), graphic standards and images on all communication materials, signage and displays.
- Write, edit, and coordinate production and distribution of all print materials, including an annual volunteer calendar, annual year-end report, and various promotional materials such as posters, flyers, and event invitations.
- Write, edit, and coordinate all online communications, including email newsletters, website, and social media sites.
- Manage online and social media “relationships” with VOC volunteers and digital badge recipients.
- Assist VOC in expanding its reach beyond its traditional volunteers and significantly increase the organization’s exposure across Colorado.
- Implement regular updates, maintenance, and improvements to the VOC website; work closely with database manager to maintain effective integration with registration and donation database.
- Support fundraising strategies with donor communications, marketing campaigns, and fundraising materials.
- Manage organization assets such as photos, videos, signage, promotional items, logos, etc.
Media & Community Relations
- Develop and cultivate media contacts and relationships.
- Pursue opportunities for earned media coverage, including writing and sending press releases and pitching stories.
- Manage incoming media inquiries and requests for information.
- Track all media coverage.
- Recruit and work with partners to facilitate more cross promotion.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field.
Experience: At least 4 years of communications and marketing experience, ideally within a nonprofit entity, including hands-on experience with social media, website content, e-newsletters, print media and donor communications.
- Strong writer with the ability to craft compelling messages across different platforms and for a variety of audiences
- Strong track record as a project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives concurrently
- Desire and ability to play a hands-on, implementation role, while at the same time being able to develop strategies and see the larger picture
- High energy, maturity and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Hands-on experience using website content management systems, email newsletter systems, and Adobe creative suite
- Knowledge of budgeting and planning processes
- Eagerness to stay current and keep VOC apprised of evolving outreach technology and tools
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please submit a cover letter highlighting relevant experience, resume and minimum salary requirement to: Murphy Hogsett at Murphy@voc.org. No phone calls, please. Posting closes April 18, 2014 at 5 PM (MDT).
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.