Organization: Anchor Center for Blind ChildrenTitle: Occupational Therapist
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Subcategory: Health & Mental Health
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
Love children, families and working in a collaborative environment? Enjoy knowing your work makes a difference? So do we. Amazing things happen here every day. You help make that possible.
Anchor Center for Blind Children is embarking on exciting times and our small team is growing fast. This is a great time to join our crew!
Purpose of Position
The Occupational Therapist works as a member of the transdisciplinary team to meet the developmental and educational goals of children – newborn to five – served by Anchor Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide formal and informal evaluations individually and in a transdisciplinary team setting, covering the areas of fine motor function, including prehension and manipulation, selfâ€ help and sensory processing issues
- Provide integrated and group therapy activities to improve each child’s functional hand, fine motor and selfâ€help skills
- Provide useful recommendations and reports written in language parents can easily understand
- Assist parents and other educators in understanding each child’s unique sensory processing.
- Provide suggestions for functional age appropriate sensory modulation and fine motor activities to do at home and in the classroom
- Consult with itinerant staff and provide appropriate consultative home visits as necessary for children who cannot attend centerâ€based programs
- Participate in program development
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to mentor a variety of students
- Collaborate with Speech/Language Pathologist to provide input concerning oralâ€motor and feeding/eating
- Attend scheduled staff and team meetings
- Respect confidentiality of Anchor Center families and staff
- Meet with the program director to discuss concerns, performance, set goals and review past activities
- HIPAA compliant
- Represent Anchor Center in a professional and positive manner in the community
- Support Anchor Center fundraising efforts and special events
Education & Experience
- Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Appropriate certificates of Registration in Colorado for practice. Type E certification (can get this after hired if not already certified)
- Three years of experience in pediatric therapy, birth to five
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated professional expertise with children with visual impairments who have a variety of motor and sensory needs
- Basic knowledge of feeding issues and intervention techniques
- Ability to participate as an integral member of a team
- Ability to meet deadlines and write clear reports and goals
- Educational/classroom environment including children with limited or no vision and frequent parent/family visits
- Able to physically lift up to 40 pounds
- Able to participate in floor time and maneuver equipment/materials (with assistance if necessary for safety purposes) for use in programming
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
Send your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to email@example.com
This position will be open until filled. No phone calls please.
Please put Occupational Therapist in the subject line.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.