Organization: Urban PeakTitle: Outreach Counselor
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
Under the supervision of the Outreach Supervisor, the Outreach Counselor will be responsible for connecting with youth on the streets and to build healthy and strong relationships with these youth in hopes of helping them on a path of the youth’s choosing. The Outreach Counselor acts as a liaison on the streets to inform youth, community groups and businesses about the services offered by Urban Peak to promote the health, safety and well-being of homeless and runaway youth and to assist youth in permanently exiting street life. Other duties include coverage of the Drop-in Center, outreach on the streets and to Denver area shelters, intensive case management of a designated case load and HIV and AIDS education. Works as part of a larger interagency team to coordinate care and outreach services as part of the Denver Street Outreach Collaborative.
· The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in human services, social work, psychology, sociology or related field; and a minimum of two years (2) experience working with high-risk adolescent populations or youth experiencing homelessness.
· Experience in providing trauma informed care or willingness to adapt this approach is required.
· Experience, competence and sensitivity and, the ability to connect well and work effectively with the homeless youth population, especially youth who identify as LGBTQ, are often difficult to engage, mentally ill, addicted to substances or otherwise impaired.
· Skill in operating office equipment, such as computers, software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; email) and telephones.
· Skill in oral and written communications.
· Skill in negotiating and mediating, particularly in sensitive situations.
· Able to communicate effectively with a diverse population.
· Able to make sound decisions, using available information while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
· Able to function as a member of an interdisciplinary team and work with collaborating agencies.
· Able to manage tasks and activities in an environment that sometimes includes interpersonal conflict and chaos.
· Must be team-oriented and able to coordinate with various departments and staff.
· Knowledge of street outreach and ability to train volunteers in conducting street outreach and demonstrated appreciation of clear and appropriate boundaries with youth are also required.
· Must be insurable as a driver on Urban Peak’s auto liability policy to transport youth using an Urban Peak vehicle and an approved personal vehicle
· Must pass both federal and state background checks
· Must pass pre-employment drug screening.
This is a full-time position requiring a schedule of 40 hours per week. These may
be early morning, day, evening, and late evening hours, including some daytime
hours for required meetings and weekend hours.Work on holidays will also be
CLASSIFICATION / COMPENSATION
This is a non-exempt position with a starting wage range of $15.14 per hour, depending upon skills, qualifications, and experience.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three (3) professional and/or academic references to:
ATTN: Human Resources
730 21st Street
Denver, CO 80205
Fax: (303) 295-6116
All attachments should be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or portal document format (.pdf). Also, include your first and last name and the title of the position you are applying for in the subject field of the email (Example: Job Title – Last Name, First Name).
This position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified.
Due to limited staffing resources we are unable to respond to phone inquiries, including calls to check on the status of a submitted application. Applicants will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
This job announcement is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the position.
Urban Peak is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of applicants.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.