Organization: I Have a Dream Foundation of Boulder CountyTitle: Program Director
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
The “I Have a Dream” Foundation of Boulder County is a school drop-out prevention program that helps with children (Dreamers) from low-income areas become successful adults by providing a long-term program of mentoring, tutoring and enrichment, and a last-dollar tuition assistance scholarship for post-secondary education.
We currently seek a full-time Program Director to work with 60 students (Dreamers) and their families. Position is to begin in February 2016 and will help launch a new Class of Dreamers in Boulder, with students currently in the 2nd-4th grades. Programming will be based at a Boulder Housing community center in north Boulder. This is a full-time, salaried position with excellent benefits.
- Provide individual case management for each Dreamer, ensuring that academic and enrichment needs of each are identified and addressed early, supporting social/emotional development and life skills, and advocating for Dreamers.
- Plan, organize, and oversee a year-round program of age-appropriate activities to support Dreamers’ academic needs including an academic and enrichment after-school program, in-school tutoring, and a summer program.
- Implement academic curriculum/programs to ensure the acquisition of strong literacy and math skills.
- Supervise and manage two AmeriCorps members; coordinate and supervise volunteer and workstudy tutors and mentors.
- Develop and maintain strong teams; at the program site, across the “I Have a Dream” organization, and with parents.
- Develop and maintain close working relationship with school officials, faculty and staff; create a smooth transition between school day and after-school curriculums; review academic performance and attendance records of Dreamers; participate in parent-teacher conferences; and support and promote parent engagement at every opportunity.
- Build and maintain partnerships with community agencies and businesses
- Arrange a regular schedule of cultural, social, recreational and community service activities that expand horizons
- Conduct home visits
- Initiate a parent committee and support activities such as workshops, discussion groups, recognition events and holiday celebrations for Dreamers and their families
- Provide individual Dreamers and their families with counseling referrals to appropriate agencies
- Maintain Dreamer case management files and records related to Program activities; such as Dreamers’ grades, school attendance and “I Have a Dream” participation, results of one-on-one intervention and family involvement, etc.
- Represent “I Have a Dream” to community groups and forums.
As the Dreamers grow:
- Develop career awareness and job training for Dreamers, helping to create meaningful job and internship opportunities.
- Prepare Dreamers and their parents for high school graduation, applying for financial aid, and planning for post-secondary education or employment.
- Organize college campus visits and help Dreamers access professional guidance in selecting colleges.
- Other duties as assigned
Reports to: VP of Programs
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in education, social work, or human services.
- Fluent Spanish required
- Experience working with multi-cultural families and children, who are environmentally at-risk
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication and computer skills
- Prior non-profit experience and volunteer management preferred
- Reliable transportation, good driving record and insurance, required
- Some evenings, weekends and conference travel
Using “Program Director” in the subject line, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.