Organization: Now I Lay Me Down to SleepTitle: Special Events Coordinator
Categories: Nonprofit Jobs
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
Maddux Achilles Haggard was born on Feb. 4, 2005, with a condition incompatible with life. On the sixth day of his young life, his parents Mike and Cheryl Haggard had to make the excruciating decision to take him off life support. Before they did, they called photographer Sandy Puc’ to take portraits of them cradling their son. Puc’ photographed the couple with Maddux at the hospital before he was removed from life support and after — when he was free from the tubes and the wires that had sustained him.
Those tender photographs documenting Maddux’s eternal connection with his parents inspired Cheryl Haggard and Sandy Puc’ to begin the nonprofit organization, Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (NILMDTS). Since 2005, NILMDTS has provided tens of thousands of parents with the free professional portraits of their baby. NILMDTS administers a network of 1500 volunteer photographers in the United States and around the world.
Overview of Special Events Coordinator
Volunteers carry out the NILMDTS mission worldwide with the support of a small staff at the NILMDTS Headquarters in Centennial, CO. Managing 1600 volunteers, with a small staff and minimal budget requires extreme efficiency and also takes advantage of technology. All staff members wear many hats.
The Special Events Coordinator will primarily coordinate all events and activities related to the NILMDTS 10th anniversary in 2015 and the NILMDTS Remembrance Walk. Several events and activities for the 10th Anniversary will become annual events. The major event is a gala and a silent auction. The Remembrance Walk had over 1500 participants in Denver in 2014. The goal is to replicate the walk in at least two other cities in 2015. Other events include parent and volunteer gatherings.
The Special Events Coordinator will serve as the primary coordinator of all events. The person in this position must not only be creative, but must also be very detail-oriented and be able to think through and execute every aspect of every event with the help of volunteers. We are looking for someone who has a broad range of skills in a multitude of areas specifically including event planning, donor development, fundraising, and marketing. This position is responsible for coordinating committees of volunteers for events.
APPLY if you:
· Have a deep passion for the mission of NILMDTS to serve families and support our volunteers
· Thrive working in a quick-paced, demanding and challenging, yet rewarding environment
· Have a demonstrated history of taking initiative and being successful
· Can think through processes to be more efficient and productive
· Can recruit, lead, and inspire volunteers to be an instrumental part of our work
· Have a strong passion for and experience with event planning, donor development, fundraising, and marketing
· Have an understanding or experience with anticipating the needs of the organization as a whole as it relates to events
· Are flexible and can adapt to unique situations on a daily basis
· Can complete tasks with little direction
DO NOT apply if:
· You are not deeply moved and passionate about the NILMDTS mission
· This is just going to be another job
· You are not willing to grow and expand your skills in a multitude of areas
· You have to be told what to do everyday
Required Skills and Background
· A strong passion and commitment for the mission of NILMDTS
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
· Experience working within nonprofits
· Strong understanding of how a small office can function efficiently and productively and know how to develop and implement these procedures.
Event Planning related experience should include:
· Coordinating events for nonprofits from start to finish that exceed generating $100,000 revenue
· Coordinating silent auctions, galas, walks, and/or 5K runs
· Coordinating smaller events in homes or similar locations
· Working with online fundraising platforms
· Detailing all tasks for events and assuring volunteers complete their tasks
· Coordinating all logistics and details of the events
Development, Marketing, and Fundraising related:
· Experience with donor development
· Experience with obtaining in-kind and cash sponsorships
· Experience with marketing and public relations
Computer and Software Skills
Computers, technology, and social media are extremely important to the operations of NILMDTS. Please make sure you have the necessary skills listed.
· Must be proficient in all Microsoft Office software
· Must be experienced with utilizing Google documents and other “free” resources available online
· Some knowledge of Google AdWords and Google Analytics
· Must be Social Media saavy – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and other social media
· Experience working with a donor database
· Experience with mass email marketing such as Constant Contact
· You must have experience with or have the capacity to quickly learn the following:
o Macintosh computers
o Donor database – Donor Perfect
o Some HTML, and web development web sites
o Word Press for web development
o Graphic design programs, including Photoshop and In Design
Specific Job Functions
a. Proactively work the Executive Director on all events as well as donor development, fundraising, and marketing.
b. Lead office volunteers to assist with day-to-day office data entry and filing, answering phones, and other tasks.
c. Improve and develop event procedures for maximum efficiency.
d. Along with the entire staff provide general office support including answering phones, copying, responding to emails, maintaining files, data entry, and other general office functions.
a. Coordinate multiple tasks related to several events throughout the year by Events include, but are not limited to: Remembrance Walk, Care Package assembly, 10th Anniversary Event, Drawings from the Heart, Charity Model Search, and other special events.
b. Oversee the Remembrance Walk Committee in which the co-chairs (volunteers) will report to this position.
c. Lead volunteers to help carryout events.
d. Coordinate all logistics and details for the events.
e. Provide reports and progress during and after the events for the Executive Director.
3. Development and Marketing
a. Work with the Executive Director with all Development, Fundraising, and Marketing tasks. The expectation is that this position will be able to take an idea or a concept, develop the process, and successfully execute the process.
b. Utilize the donor database to increase efficiency and tools for more successful donor development through events.
c. Increase visibility online through Google Ads and other avenues to market NILMDTS events and activities.
d. In conjunction with the Executive Director, build relationships with NILMDTS Event Sponsors and assure they are receiving all of their benefits.
e. Work with parents and families who want to conduct fundraisers for NILMDTS.
f. Write press releases and/or work with volunteers to write for events.
g. Create mass emails for marketing events.
h. Develop social media marketing for events.
4. Communication and Technology
a. Update the website(s) as it pertains to Events.
b. Work to provide cutting-edge solutions for communicating with our volunteers and families through technology.
Essential Job Functions
* Ability to be sensitive to the nature of our work
* Strong critical thinking and organizational abilities
* Strong ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
* Ability to anticipate the needs of the organization as a whole
* Ability to coordinate multiple tasks efficiently while meeting deadlines and objectives
* Ability to communicate effectively with photographers, other volunteers, and parents
* Ability to take initiative and complete projects with little supervision
* Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
* Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work independently and as a team member
* Strong attention to details
* Must enjoy working in an office environment
* Must be available to work regular office hours Monday – Friday
* Must be willing to work evenings and weekends for events
* Ability to answer phones and speak with those who call NILMDTS
* Ability to lift 25 pounds
Salary: mid-high 30K
For More Information about Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep
Please visit our website www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
By email: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use: “Special Events Coordinator” as your subject line.
Please send: cover letter, resume, salary history, and salary requirements
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.