Organization: American Lung Association in ColoradoTitle: Special Events Intern
Region: Denver Metro Area
Org Type: 501(c)(3)
In its 10th year the Fight for Air Climb is a 56 story stair climb up the Republic Plaza, the tallest building in the Mountain West. Last year more than 2100 participants raised nearly $400,000 to support the programs of ALAC. Run the ‘Rocks is a one-of-a-kind 5K held each October at Red Rocks State Park. We anticipate 2,400 individuals will raise nearly $175,000 at the 2014 Run the ‘Rocks. Finally, the LUNG FORCE walk will take place May 9, 2015 with more than 700 participants raising more than $100,000 to raise much needed funds for the fight against lung cancer.
Position: Special Events Intern
Position Supervised By: Director of Development
General Overview: The Special Events Internship is offered to students and professionals who have an interest in event planning and staging fundraisers. The intern will gain knowledge of planning and executing an event from start to finish, including developing & marketing sponsorship packages, soliciting in-kind donations, working with vendors & participants, recruiting special event volunteers, managing event volunteers, organizing event logistics and executing a silent auction.
Location: 5600 Greenwood Plaza Blvd., Suite 100, Greenwood Village, CO 80111. Parking is available on site. Easily accessible by public transportation.
· Work under the supervision of the Director of Development to plan and organize all special events—this internship will mainly focus on Run the ‘Rocks taking place October 12, 2014 but will also include planning for the 2015 Fight for Air Climb taking place February 22, 2015
· Communicate event details and fundraising information to participants through telephone calls and emails
· Recruit new participants through community events, corporate calls, athletic groups, social media and much more
· Cultivate relationships with current donors and event participants through fundraising and outreach calls and emails
· Assist with volunteer coordination of events
· Work with the Development Team to cultivate new corporate partnerships throughout the Denver Metro area in order to secure funding for ALAC’s programs and special events
· Under the supervision of Director of Development solicit and secure in-kind donations (based on event needs)
· Other administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Development
· Attend occasional special event committee meetings and special events
· Must be able to work the weekend of Run the ‘Rocks (October 10-October 12)
· A desire to work in the field of non-profit development or special event planning
· Experience or interest in establishing and cultivating relationships with corporate supporters in order to secure funding for ALAC’s programmatic services and special events
· Experience or interest in event marketing
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and comfortable making unsolicited phone calls
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks
· Must be able to manage projects with goals and deadlines
· Enthusiasm to learn and a team player
· Proficient with e-mail, Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and social media outlets
· A problem solver with the ability to lead when the situation dictates
· Ability to work some weekend and evening hours
· This is an unpaid internship
· 15-25 hours per week, depending on availability
· Required 3 month commitment (minimum)
· Develop skills necessary to work and function in a professional setting
· End of contract letter of recommendation written
How to Apply: All interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use subject line of “Special Events Internship” in your email.
This is a posting on Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Career Center.