The Colorado Nonprofit Pro Bono Legal Group (PBLG) is an initiative of the Colorado Nonprofit Association and the Colorado Lawyers Committee to effectively match nonprofit organizations in need of legal assistance with volunteer lawyers who can help.
Before You Start
Two important requirements:
- Organizations must attain 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status prior to requesting pro bono legal services.
- Organizations must be located in Colorado
Volunteer lawyers can assist in many areas including:
- Governance and Management
Liability / Risk Management; Corporate Policies; Strategic or Operational Planning; Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws; Advocacy; Mergers; Dissolution
- Transparency and Accountability
Public Disclosure; Tax; Regulatory Compliance; Form 990 Compliance; Policies; Multi-jurisdiction, State and Local Tax Exemptions
Charitable Contributions; Planned Giving/Estate Planning; Donor Restrictions; Licensing
- Human Resources
Employment Law; Personnel Policies; Unemployment
Strategic Partnerships; Real Estate; Service Agreements; Fiscal Sponsorship
Not sure if you need legal assistance? Ask the Help Desk!
How often can I request pro bono legal services?
Colorado Nonprofit Association members (nonprofit members only) may submit unlimited requests for assistance.
Nonmembers are welcome to use the program once per calendar year. Learn more about the benefits of membership.
Submitting a request through the Pro Bono Legal Group does not guarantee legal counsel for your organization. We encourage you to maintain your own efforts to secure needed assistance. Acceptance of each request is dependent upon the professional and personal criteria of the individual attorneys who volunteer their time and expertise.
Pro Bono Legal Group assistance is NOT available for:
- Suing nonprofit organizations or individuals: This program is meant to strengthen nonprofit organizations and most civil suits fall outside the boundaries of this program
- Nonprofit startup: For resources regarding starting a nonprofit, please visit our Start-Up & Nonprofit Basics FAQs.
Submit your 501(c)(3) Nonprofit’s Request
Simply fill in and submit the request here. If you do not receive a confirmation email after you submit your request, or are having trouble viewing and subRmitting the electronic version, please contact Melanie Tsuchida at mtsuchida@ColoradoNonprofits.org or (303) 832-5710 ext. 217 for assistance.
Colorado Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic | Jan. 21 | FREE
The Nonprofit Legal Audit Clinic is a great opportunity for small Colorado Nonprofits to receive a free legal assessment! You can meet with volunteer business attorneys who will review your paperwork, assess potential problem areas, and address special legal issues for Colorado nonprofits.
Assistance will be given in the areas of:
- Legal Form and Governance
- Reporting and Compliance with Federal, State and Local Regulations
- Employment and Human Resources
- Owned or Leased Property
- Reputation, Branding and Intellectual Property
- Lobbying and Political Campaign Activities
- Compliance with Restrictions and Program Specific Requirements
- Earned Revenue and Unrelated Business Income Tax
- Compliance with Private Inurement, Excess Benefit and Self-Dealing Rules
- Finances and Fiscal Management
To apply for the legal audit clinic, please complete the intake form by January 6, 2016.
Questions about the Clinic?
Contact Melanie Tsuchida at firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 813-4217.