Public Policy and Lobbying
Colorado Nonprofit Association advocates for the nonprofit sector at the state and national levels. We research and act on issues that broadly impact nonprofits at the Capitol. We also work with national partners, including National Council of Nonprofits and Independent Sector to address federal issues impacting nonprofits.
Aponté and Busam, a full service political consulting and government affairs firm, represents Colorado Nonprofit Association at the Capitol as well as many other nonprofit clients. Click here to visit the firm’s website.
Public Policy Updates
We provide updates on public policy issues in our biweekly Member News Bulletin and in Nonprofit Colorado, our bimonthly newsletter. We send out action alerts when necessary to engage nonprofits in key issues facing our state and sector. Contact Mark Turner for more information.
Legislative Session Matrix, Fact Sheets and Reports
During the legislative session of the Colorado General Assembly, we post a page with information on key bills for Colorado’s nonprofit community. Through State Bill Colorado, we maintain an updated list of all the bills that we are following throughout the session. After the session is over, we post a report with the outcomes of bills we supported and opposed as well as other key bills for the nonprofit community.
Nonprofit Day at the Capitol/Capitol Training
Is our annual event to help nonprofits build relationships with their state legislators, learn how to navigate the Capitol, and advocate for their causes. More information about this year’s program is provided at the link below. Please review the Resources on the Legislative process to prepare for the day.
Colorado Nonprofit Association has created a free toolkit for nonprofits’ advocacy efforts. The toolkit provides information about what 501(c)(3)s can do as far as legislative and media advocacy and voter engagement activities and pointers for how to effectively work with public officials and the media. All toolkits are in PDF format.
Resources on the Legislative Process
- Contact Information for the Colorado General Assembly.
- Contact Information for Colorado’s members of Congress.
- General Assembly Session Information- information on the legislative calendar, bills, journals, and audio and videos from chamber and committee hearings.
- Find your Legislator- interactive map to help you find which legislators represent your community. Openstates.org is another helpful resource to find your legislators.
- Colorado Legislative Council- includes links to guides on the legislative process, how to testify before a legislative committee, legislative process terms, and How a Bill Becomes Colorado Law.
- Colorado Revised Statutes and Constitution
- Meet Your Elected Official- Tips on meeting with a Colorado legislator.
- How to Create a Fact Sheet – includes information on how to create good fact sheets to prepare you for Nonprofit Day at the Capitol.
- Lobbying by Letter or Email – includes information on how to create an effective letter or email.
To learn more about any of these resources, contact Mark Turner, Director of Public Policy, at (303) 813-4203/(800) 333-6554 ext. 203 or email@example.com.